Future of GRASS?

Kenn Gardels (CEDR-REGIS) gardels at ced.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 7 20:39:45 EDT 1994

> No responses first time around, so I'll ask again!
> -----
>
> Can anyone comment on what has been the recent progress on
> the Sequoia project (porting GRASS to PostGres?) and the
> Next Generation Framework at USACERL (both subject of articles
> in GRASSCLIPPINGS 6/3 1992) which appear to promise a richer
> object type approach?

The Sequoia project is alive and well.  We have just completed (almost)
version 2, in which GRASS utilities have been reimplemented as postgres
functions operating directly on objects in the database.  (Version 1
was the incorporation of GRASS data into postgres form.)  We currently
are working on some TCL/TK interface tools to access GRASS data and
functions.

Future work will be based on a new geodata model, instead of the GRASS
raster/vector/site model.  This model is closely tied to the current OGIS
(Open Geodata Interoperability Specification) geodata model, as well as to
SAIF and SQL3/MM.  Geoprocessing functions will be rewritten to operate
on generic types of objects, which through encapsulation will provide the
precise methods necessary to process the data correctly.

The geoprocessing activities in Sequoia, named Guernewood, are documented in
a series of reports which can be located at the anonymous ftp site
s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/sequoia/guernewood.  OGIS related materials
can be found at moon.cecer.army.mil:/ogis.

Hope this whets your appetite!

-kenn

| Kenn Gardels                     Tel +01 (510) 642-9205                      |
| CEDR - 390 Wurster Hall          Fax +01 (510) 643-5571                      |
| University of California         Internet  gardels at ced.berkeley.edu          |
| Berkeley, CA  94720              Bitnet    gardels at UCBCED                    |