24-bit color with XWindows ??

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Fri Apr 8 12:47:25 EDT 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Thu Apr  7 22:13:58 1994
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: info-grass-user at usenet.pa.dec.com
> From: haddad at pa.dec.com (Ramsey Haddad)
> Newsgroups: info.grass.user
> Subject: 24-bit color with XWindows ??
> Date: 8 Apr 1994 02:28:54 GMT
>

> I succesfully have Grass up and running on our DEC mips machines using
> XWindows and with the display going to screens with 8-bit color boards.
>
> When I switch to a 24-bit color board, I get an error when I try to execute
>
> > d.mon start=x0
>   Request Major code 78 ()
>   Error Serial #266
>   Current Serial #267
>
> Does anyone have Grass running successfully on a 24-bit color display with
> XWindows?  And are you getting full use out of the 24-bits?
>

> --
> Ramsey Haddad <haddad at pa.dec.com>
> speaking for myself.

We have one Sun Sparc 2 with a 24 bit graphics display system that is
working fine in grass 4.0 and 4.1.  No we are not getting the full
24 bit display for grass.  We are running the same driver as the Sparc 2
next to it with an 8 bit display system.

There was a discussion on 24 bit displays in X for grass about 4-6 months
ago on the list.  Check the archives.

Good Luck and keep us informed if you have positive results,
Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS		  "Hell, if you understand everything I say,
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov     you'd be me!"  - Miles Davis