Misinformation

Dan Haskell danh at teleport.com
Wed Apr 13 06:31:00 EDT 1994

Since my comments seem to be the source of this mis-information, I'd like to
respond to Jill's posting:

In article <9404121727.AA04385 at chablis.santa.infotec.com> she write:
>Just thought I would clarify some misinformation that I've
>been reading about LTPlus.
>
>1. LTPlus is telephone helpline supported by Infotec Developement. The original
>developer of LTPlus is at Infotec and knows everything there is to know about
>LTPlus.  He is available to answer helpline calls for technical support
>memebers.

I apologize.  The BLM staff at the Oregon State Office said that they had
refused to answer questions that were not related to your product.  Someone
might call them to clear up the misunderstanding.

As for qualifications to answer questions about LTPlus, she is right - no one
can beat John.  However, I have more production experience than anyone on
their staff (the staff I trained and supervised turned out a thousand maps a
year for over three years).  Also, more macro experience.  Lastly, I once was
the main person answering the very help line she mentioned.

As for the rest of the posting:

1) Their product has improved, but it is still slower than the straight VGA
versions. Ask the Infotec USFS project staff.  X simply requires a lot of
overhead - which means that graphics/CPU intensive applications run slower.

2) Their product will run under 8 Megs of RAM?  SCO's minimum requirement for
X-Windows, as I remember, is 16 Megs.

3) As for John Dabritz and Tru Phan, no argument.  Those two are the best!
I'm glad to hear they are implementing more of the recommendations I made
(the polygon fill or the TIFF input/output for example).  I hope to
implement some of those features in the Linux LTPlus.

I apologize if this reply sounds a bit tense.  It took me a fair amount of
work to port LTPlus to Linux, and I am quite proud of the result.  I
consider LT4X to be a nice product, but it is aimed at users with significant
cash and substantial iron (ack! Mainframe jargon!).  LTPlus 2.40, like Linux,
is intended to be a bit more accessible :)

						Dan Haskell
--
"Sire, plague and pestilence stalk the land like, er, two huge stalking things."
					- Black Adder III

email: danh at teleport.com                                  vox: (503) 257-9042