Township/Rang --> lat/long, SP, or UTM?

Brian Culpepper brian at cast.uark.edu
Thu Apr 14 14:21:32 EDT 1994

> We have some maps here for National Wildlife Refuge.
> Unfortunately, they's in Townships/Rangs system.
> Has anyone dealt with maps in such system using GRASS
> or other GIS software?

stuff deleted..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Xin,
	Are these paper or digital maps? Anyway, I've recently have had
to reference a (digital) boundary survey that was in autocad. The maps,of
course, were not "projected" into the proper state plane coordinates so
there was some initial problems.... let me know if you would like the details.
 It sounds like your best bet would be
to locate all of the section corner monuments and quarter-corner monuments
(if they are physically monumented at all..) within your study area. THe
state plane coordinates for these monuments should be on record at the
county clerk or circuit clerk's office (depending upon your county government).
THe monument coordinates can then be used to reference your maps, or convert to
whatever coordinate system you wish.  If you have access to a Global
Positioning Unit, each monument coordinate can be obtained this way, also.
The accuracy of your base maps will have to assessed.. They may be so
bad, that using them for a base could be detrimental to future data referencing.
Feel free to contact me for specific questions, because this response is
very general and there are some problems to be aware of......

Lots of luck,
--
R. Brian Culpepper                                 Research Assistant
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies           (fax) 501 575-3846
University of Arkansas                            brian at cast.uark.edu
Fayetteville, AR 72701