Help a late comer!

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Wed Apr 20 10:05:09 EDT 1994

> Dear everyone,
> I have just joined this group.To be honest,I am still a will-be GRASS user.
> I would like to know:
>  1.What platform do I need to run GRASS?How about SGI machine or small
> SUNSPARC workstation?
>  2.I knew there is a FTP site where I can find source code of GRASS.But,is
> there an established procedure to install,and compile the GRASS,such as which
> files I should download with source code,where I can find step by step
> instruction for installation and compilation?
>
> I need your help to become a real GRASS user!
> Thank for your attention!
>
> Zhang Yusheng
> email:Y.S.Zhang at exe.ac.uk

Hello, Zhang
1. Hardware: you need a machine capable of running UNIX, with 8-plane color
graphics hardware, and a bare minimum of 8 meg RAM and 300 meg disk simply to
*run* GRASS. 24 meg RAM and 600+ meg disk is more reasonable to get any kind
of work done.
Software: Some flavor of UNIX, X-Windows, and a K&R compatible C compiler
(unless you are going to use the binary releases of GRASS that are available
for some machines).
Examples: Sun, HP, DG, dec, IBM, SGI, CDC workstations. 80x86 machines running
Linux or other UNIX. Macintosh running A/UX.

2. ftp as anonymous to moon.cecer.army.mil, and cd to grass/grass4.1/documents.
Get the file "installGuide.ps.Z" and print it on you PostScript printer. This
should tell you everything you need to know to compile and install GRASS. You
will also find README files under grass/grass4.1/release that describes the`
directories and files.

If you need more info, feel free to email me directly. Good luck!
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159