Grass ASCII Vector File Format????

Susan Huse sue at ced.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 20 22:11:01 EDT 1994

> Our printer choked when I tried to print the 560+ pages of the Grass
> manual so I'm without for the moment.

Try g.manual.

> Can anyone out there give me the Grass ASCII vector file format... I
> want to get busy and write a translation program from IRDRISI and ATLAS
> ASCII vector formats.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> William W. (Boo) Bushing  |  "Life is too important to be
> 6500boo at ucsbuxa.bitnet    |       taken seriously"
> 6500boo at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
> bushing at lifesci.ucsb.edu  |            - Einstein
> Marine Biotechnology Lab   Univ. of Calif. Santa Barbara
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ascii format actually isn't in the manual, though I have been told
that a file explaining it lives somewhere on moon.

The ascii attributes live in dig_att/ - exactly the same file as the
normal GRASS vector dig_att.  Same is true of the dig_cats file.

The actual line work and header information is in the dig_ascii/ file.

I have included bits of a file below, just to give you a sense.
Basically
Lines 1-14 are reserved header information.
Each line, site, area edge is stored as a series of points, the
first node, all middle points, the last node.  Sites require two
points specified (first node and last node) which are the exact
same.

Format

A #
 n e
 n e
 n e

A means that it is an area edge, L is a line, P is a point (site)
# is the number of points comprising that line.  A site would be P 2.
For areas and lines could be any length, depending on the data.
Then follows # number of lines of northings and eastings which are
the actual points.

Deleted lines are specified by a lower case (a, l, p)

EXAMPLE:

ORGANIZATION: UCB Spatial Info Systems Lab
DIGIT DATE:   March 1990
DIGIT NAME:   deck
MAP NAME:     Output from v.patch
MAP DATE: