Global Grass CD info (was: 3d views of elevation data)

Dan K Braithwaite dank at hwr.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 25 19:23:18 EDT 1994

I can't find some of my info regarding the global grass CDs, but here are
two items I had in my archives.

They contain order information and content information for CDs II & III.
Scott Madry is one of the main people responsible for putting out the CDs.

NOTE:  I also just saw an add for Global Grass CDs 4 & 5 in a GIS-type
magazine, but I can't recall any specific details about the contents.

dan braithwaite
computer programmer
Dept. of Hydrology
University of Arizona
Ph: (602) 621-9944
Fax: (602) 621-1422
email: dank at hwr.arizona.edu

-------------included files follow----------

Thanks for all the interest in the Global GRASS CD-ROMs. The contents of the
CDs are as follows:

CD2:
12 monthly temperature (degrees F) files
12 monthly precipitation (inches) files
12 monthly cloud cover (percentage) files
1 bathymetry file
1 visual earth - shaded image
5 continent scale watershed files
1 soil elements file
1 soil formations file
1 ridge systems file
1 rivers file
1 shaded relief map (improved since CD1)
1 major mountains of the world file
1 percent urbanized file
1 four year vegetation average (AVHRR) file

CD3:
53 weekly vegetation productivity files
(each file is a composition of approx. 7 AVHRR NVI images)

For further details (eg. data sources) and an order form please call or e-mail
your FAX number or postal mailing address.

PRICES:
CD1     US$375.00
CD2     US$300.00
CD3     US$250.00
All three can be obtained for $750.00.
(Outside US add $10.00 for shipping & handling)
[US Federal agencies discount 25% of total]

Please make check, money order or P.O. payable to:
Rutgers, The State University

Mail to:
Cook College Remote Sensing Center
Global Dataset Project
Box 231, College Farm Road
Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ 08903 USA

----------------

Two new digital datasets of Global data have been released on CD-ROM and are
available from the Cook College Remote Sensing Center of Rutgers University.
The latest CDs are part of the signed cooperative research and development
agreement between the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Construction Engineering
Research Laboratory (USA/CERL) and Rutgers.  Last year, under this agreement,
the Remote Sensing Center began the distribution of Global GRASS 1, also on
CD-ROM.

Included in each Global GRASS dataset are at least 50 different raster files
with a cell size of 4'48," for use in global scale research and education.  The
datasets include elevation, vegetation type, national boundaries, soil
characteristics, marine productivity, watersheds and more.

To users of the public domain GRASS GIS and imaging processing systems, the
CD-ROM will act as an additional hard disk, since data are stored in the GRASS
directory structure.  To those using a different GIS, the data are all stored in
simple (uncompressed, flat) file format to make importimg the data as simple as
possible.

This copyrighted work is being made available to increase research and teaching
activities in global studies and analysis around the world.  These CDs will be
followed by additional CD-ROMs on approximately a yearly basis.

For additional information on the data and the price of the CDs, please contact:
Scott Madry:  madry at ocean.rutgers.edu    or
Lynn Rakos:   rakos at ocean.rutgers.edu
Remote Sensing Center Phone:  908-932-9631
                      FAX:    908-932-8644