how do i read documents

Brad Robbins (BIO) brobbins at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Fri Aug 5 07:53:32 EDT 1994

On Fri, 5 Aug 1994, Andrea Giacomelli wrote:

> > i have unloaded the installGuide.ps.Z file onto my machine but i am
> > not sure which compression package puts a Z onto the end of the file,
> > anyone?
> >
> > also, we know that we can print out postscript files, but how do we edit
> > them?

Andrea,
There are several "zipping" packages available that will uncompress your
files.  Try an "unzip" or "gunzip" command.

I found that you can edit postscript files using UNIX's vi editor.  The
problem is reading the script.  It will take awhile but after spending some
time you'll begin to make some sense out of the PS gibberish.  At the
start of each page is a header listing the page numbers of the previous
and next page.  Use these as guides to move around in the document.

Good luck,
Brad Robbins
brobbins at chuma.cas.usf.edu