Monitor colors

martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl
Fri Aug 5 11:39:54 EDT 1994

Hi Morris,
this is a feature of Grass that has caused reams of email already. You
can find a summary of the discussions on this list in my Grass Beginners'
Manual, available by anon ftp from scanner.frw.uva.nl:pub. Briefly, with
Grass in default condition, you will see only 6 different greys in an
image that has 256 grey values - I've never checked how many of 256
colors are actually visible. The d.colormode float command will release
additional colors for display, but only AFTER you d.erase and redisplay
your image. Hope this helps and that Grass developers will find a way to
emulate the display capabilities of Xv...

P. Martijn van Leusen
Institute of Prehistory, University of Amsterdam   martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl