Compiling under linux

Bill Voigt voigtw at insect.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 10 13:16:11 EDT 1994

We have been running GRASS on our Linux box using the binaries we
downloaded from topquark in Feb. 94.  It works fine, but we are not able
to compile  new modules which want the GRASS library files.  Sooo, we
downloaded the source code & unpacked it into /usr/grass/src.

We have just downloaded & unpacked the source code for grass4.1 and are at
the step in the Installation Guide prior to compiling; I have tried 3
times to compile, & each time, the process ends in a fatal error.  I
assume that the 'next_step' file keeps trak of where the compile process
has been & therefore skips whats been done before.  I assume that these
errors were the result of wrong flags generated by the GISGEN setup
program. I went through the various steps of setup, but have some problems
with some of the flags.  Not being a C programmer, I'm not even sure which
flags are available/appropriate.

Rather than go through all the problems, I thought I'd just ask if
someone still has the grass/src/CMD/head/ files generated for their Linux
system to point the way toward getting this thing compiled.

We are using Slackware Linux 1.0.8 with X installed.  Motif is not installed.

Perhaps more to the point:

1) do we have to compile the WHOLE program to ensure that the
necessary library files are available for newer modules?  I don't mind if
we do, since we are setting up a new machine, & would like to get the
latest releases.

2) Are the several warnings during the compiling process normal? most
refer to implicit vs direct referencing of variables (I don't have the
file at my side now)

Thanks for the hand holding
|	 /\ \  / /\          Bill Voigt (voigtw at insect.berkeley.edu |
|	//\\ .. //\\         Laboratory of Biological Control       |
|	//\((  ))/\\         UC Berkeley                            |
|	/  < `' >  \ .       (510)  643-8488                        |