getting a compiled command?

Jane Rossing rossing at swlab.aben.cornell.edu
Wed Aug 17 12:44:42 EDT 1994

I am reposting a message I sent some time ago, hoping that someone
will respond to a question that I'm sure I am not the first one to
raise:

I would like to import some scanned images into GRASS, and have
understood from past messages on the list that the way to do this
is with the r.tiff commands.  Unfortunately, I have no experience
compiling programs, and had hoped to get them already compiled.
(I got GRASS in the compiled version from the moon, and just ftp'ed
and unpacked the updates, hoping that maybe r.tiff would be there -
but the "contrib" code, as before, is not included).  So my questions
are:

1. Why aren't "contrib" commands included in the compiled version?
Will they ever be?

2. In the meantime, is there any way to get such code without compiling?
Is is feasible to get one compiled command from another user?  How many
places does such a command reside in?  I know there is the front.end
, plus the bin, plus (?)

3. If it is feasible, would some kind soul be willing to send it
to me?  I am using a Sun SPARC IPC running SunOS 4.1.1. Or any suggestions?
  Thanks a million.

Jane Rossing
jr20 at cornell.edu