help needed on upgrading to GRASS 4.1

C.E.Stocks C.E.Stocks at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Aug 22 17:14:10 EDT 1994

Hi Folks,
    In the Geography Department at Sheffield University we have
four Sun Sparc work stations, two of which have GRASS 4.0 up and
running under SunOS 4.1.2, the remaining two work stations currently
do not have GRASS installed and the both currently run with SunOS
5.2. I would like to upgrade from GRASS 4.0 to GRASS 4.1 and also
install XGRASS, but still only have a total of two work stations
running GRASS. I have acquired the GRASS 4.1 Installiation Guide
from cecer which I have read, the installion proceedure appears
quite complicated if a compilation from source code is required! I
have NO experience with installing software on UNIX
machines but can  expect some on site technical assistance.

    I would therefore like some advice on carrying out the
upgrade  from GRASS 4.0 to GRASS 4.1. Firstly, upon which two of
the four workstations should I install GRASS 4.1 and XGRASS, those
running SunOS 4.1.2 or SunOS 5.2, or does it make no real
difference. Secondly, are the binary releases of GRASS 4.1 avaiable
from   moon.cecer.army.mil any good to me, given that they were
compiled for SunOS4.1.3 and SunOS2*. Finally, what are the main pit-
falls that can be avoided in respect to carrying out the
installation of GRASS 4.1?

    I am also keen to learn more about XGEN and RIM, but
currently   have little information concerning them, though I have
got the   XGRASS user guide that does include a section on XGEN.

many thanks
Chris Stocks