GPS: 6 -> 8 or 12 channels : Trimble

Ronald Thomas ront at picea.CNR.ColoState.EDU
Wed Aug 24 09:02:56 EDT 1994

Hello again GRASSuser's --

This might not be a 100% appropriate post for this group, but I submit it
because we use GPS data in our GRASS GIS database, and there is no 'GPS'
newsgroup to ask.

We have been informed by Trimble, Inc., that we should be upgrading to
their new 8 or 12 channel Pathfinder Pro XL's from our 6 channel Pathfinder
Professional.  They give increased signal lock under canopy and in canyons
as the main selling points, but we have had few problems since the full
constellation of satelites has been in place.

Trimble has an upgrade offer in place until Sept. 30 ("That's right, spend your
year-end money now, without questions, as we will charge you more if you
try to do this intellegently!!").

My question is: has anyone heard of a negative for NOT upgrading?  We
collect good data, and get it when we need it 95+% of the time.

We are concerned that Trimble will change it's PFINDER software in the
future to NOT support 6 channel receivers:  I can't get a 'yes' or 'no'
about this assumption from the company or any of the manufacturer's reps.  Any
information out there that anyone is willing to share on this matter would
sure be appreciated; either direct email to me or a return post to this
newsgroup.  Thank you!!

Ronald Thomas                                Email: ron_thomas at nps.gov
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1292
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517