Making Landoverlay and Trimmask Files for Digitizing

Paul Seymour pseymour at sar_ws.fb4.noaa.gov
Thu Aug 25 09:19:31 EDT 1994

I am attempting to prepare Mapsets containing world vector coastline vector maps combined with neatlines to in order to digitize maps.  In order to accomplish this, I need to prepare "trimmask" and "landoverlay" maps.  I am having trouble preparing these maps.  I have patched neatlines with the coastlines and then deleted the neatlines enclosing water areas for the landoverlays and enclosing land areas for the trimmasks but am getting errors when I try to convert the vector landoverlay files to raster files.  When I try to display the raster files after running v. to rast, the maps display in one color only and when I run a report on them they have only one catagory.  Are there intermediate steps that need to be run?  Are there tricks or pitfalls that I need to know and watch for when I delete lines that cross the neatlines?  Any help would be appreciated.

Please reply to me at pseymour at sar_ws.fb4.noaa.gov

Thanks in advance:

Paul Seymour
National Ice Center