GRASS and water flow systems

Bernd HEBEL STUD0066 at edv1.boku.ac.at
Fri Dec 16 14:41:43 EST 1994

Responding:

> From: ebeners at sc2a.unige.ch
> Subject: GRASS and water flow systems
>
> Hello GRASS users !
>
> We want to study flow systems (surface and subsurface) in an hydrogeological
> basin near Geneva.
>
> The concept and methodology we want to use need a GIS support in order to
> analyse all the maps we want to use (geomorphology, geology, pedology,
> vegetation, soils,...) according to toth's concepts and methodology.
>
> The question is:
>
> Is GRASS a good GIS support for such studies ?
>
> Any help or references would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Steeve Ebener
>
> +-------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
> | Dpt of Geology          | Voice: + 41 22 702-6644                      |
> | University of Geneva    | Fax:   + 41 22 320-5732                      |
> | 13, Rue des Maraichers  | E-mail: Internet:   ebeners at sc2a.unige.ch    |
> | 1211 GENEVA 4           |                                              |
> | Switzerland             |                                              |
> +-------------------------+-----------------------------------------
-----+

Hi Steeve,

I did apply GRASS in order to generate data for surface runoff and
soil erosion computer simulations (WEPP). This worked just
perfectly as several commands within GRASS such as r.watershed,
r.aspect, ... are very usefull to analyse watersheds and get
information on surface runoff. I also know that GRASS has been
integrated with several of the many runoff and erosion models such as
AGNPS, ANSWRS, Topmodel,... they are all very recomendable!

I though do have no experience in the application of GRASS conserning
subsurface runoff, I am sorry.

Please contact me directly for detailed questions!

Merry X-mas and a happy new one!

regards, Bernd