Remote Display Software

Cao Changyong changyoc at daisy.siue.edu
Thu Feb 3 10:10:25 EST 1994

>From: brooks at jekyll.cecer.army.mil (Doug Brooks)
>Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Subject: Remote Display software needed

>In preparation for the upcoming GRASS conference in March, I'm looking
>to find better ways of setting up the demo room to provide better
>visibility for folks at the demo.

>Does anyone know of a software package that will allow X-terminals
>to be set up and have the display be generarated from another machine?
>The idea is to have the demo running on a Unix server but also have
>2-3 X-terminals set up and duplicating the activity that is occuring
>on the unix server.

>Please send your thoughts directly to me and not to the list.

>Thanks,

>Doug

>brooks at cecer.army.mil

Hi,
   You can find such information in the archiev of GIS-L because I remember
there was a lot of discussion about running ARC/INFO remotely through a serial
line.  Basically, there are two options:  one is to run a DOS based X emulator
and run grass over a phone line.  You need to buy such a package to do that.
The second option is to use Linux and X-Windows package.  You use "term"
or "slip" for the interface.
   I havn't had time to try any of these.  But somebody told me that they
tried and worked for ARC/INFO.  I  did tried running grass remotely thru
TCP/IP/Linux and it worked,although I wasn't satisfied because it is slower than
I expected.   If you want to try any of these, you better get 14.4k modems on
both ends (ethernet would be better but may not be available in the conference room).

Hope this helps.

Changyong Cao
GIS lab director
Department of Geography