GRASS/LINUX: incompatible hardware list

Lawrence Houston houston at norton.geog.mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 12 16:54:56 EST 1994

GRASS/LINUX Users:

The two cases of incompatible hardware for running XFree86/Linux as a
potential platform for GRASS which I have run into are:

The Headland HT216-32 Local Bus Video on the Motherboard of the high-end
Packard Bell's is not supported in by the current release of XFree86 (1.3
or 2.0).  Well more exactly is not supported in a SGVA Mode with 256
Colours (which is required for the XDRIVER of GRASS).

Also with several of the SLS and Slackware distributions, we were unable
to install Linux to a SCSI Drive (Maxtor LXT-340S) using its Seagate ST-02
SCSI Adapter.  The Linux HD-FAQ describes potential timing problems
between the ST-02 and some SCSI Devices, so be warned that a Seagate ST-02
SCSI Adapter may cause problems (outside of the performance penalty of
using an inexpenive 8-bit SCSI Adapter in a multi-tasking environment).

Lawrence Houston  -  (houston at norton.geog.mcgill.ca)