State plane system

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Mon Feb 14 10:59:27 EST 1994

>Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 16:09:00 +0100
>From: "M.R. Lassche" <lasm at geo.vu.nl>
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Subject: State plane system
>
>To everyone in the US who knows something about the State Plane System
>
>I want to set up a grass location in Barnstable, Massachsetts. So when
>i start grass I want to create a mapset in the state plane coordinate
>system (in meters). Grass ask me which system I answer state plane and
>then the question pops up which zone. My question is which zone is
>Barnstable , Massachusetts. I've tried to look it up but all I can find
>Massachsetts mainland zone, but this answer is not good enough for
>grass.
>If anyone knows the answer please mail me at >lasm at geo.vu.nl
>Thank in advance.

All of Cape Cod, of which town and county of Barnstable is part of, is
in the Mass. Mainland (No. 2001) zone.  The Island (No. 2002) zone only
applies to Nantucket, Marthas Vinyard and the Elizabeth Islands.
If you were using PROJ.4's nad2nad, you would specify zone 2001.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027