Filling holes in a map

Susan Stitt susan at nps.gov
Mon Feb 14 13:40:09 EST 1994

>	I have rasterized a vector map, using v.to.rast. As a result of
>this I got some holes in my map inherent due to faulty digitizing. How can
>I remove these holes. The map is actually a basins map.
>
>Nalneesh Gaur, River Forecast Center, TULSA
>
>Date: Mon, 14 Feb 1994 11:03:33 -0500
>From: James Darrell McCauley <mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu>
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Subject: Re: Filling holes in a map
>
>Nalneesh Gaur (ngaur at apwk01g3.abrfc.noaa.gov) writes on 14 Feb 94:
>>	I have rasterized a vector map, using v.to.rast. As a result of
>>this I got some holes in my map inherent due to faulty digitizing. How can
>>I remove these holes. The map is actually a basins map.
>
>you might try a sort of restricted median filter. That is, only
>apply the filter if the pixel being examined is zero. This can
>be done with r.mapcalc.

If you know what you wish to patch it with, value-wise, you can create a
raster file with r.digit, then use r.patch to patch whatever you draw
on the screen "behind" your original map.  r.patch will look to the
second layer only where there is a zero value in the first layer...
thus allowing you to easily fill holes in a raster map with a second
raster map.

Good Luck!

Susan Stitt    sstitt at its.nbs.gov      National Biological Survey
                                       Information & Technology Services