GRASS and Solaris3.2

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Feb 15 10:33:46 EST 1994

Ronald Wiemer (ronald at archis.nl) writes on 15 Feb 94:
>I have installed grass4.1 on a sparc10 running solaris 2.3. Except some
>minor modifications averything went fine. I have one ramaining problem:
>GRASS display programs run extremely slow. It takes about 10 seconds
>to build up the graphics screen for d.display. d.erase takes about
>3 seconds. The same computer running sunos4.1.2 did the same job in just
>a fraction of this time. What is the happening here?. Is there a way to
>increase the performance of the XDRIVER on solaris?.

it is my belief that this is due to problems with fifos... they just
don't work as fast. I made this observation about a year or more ago
when dealing with early versions of Solaris. The best fix is to
re-write the XDRIVER and display libraries to use true X
communication.  Yesterday, Tom Moore wrote:

|>Gille Clement (LIS Inc, Montreal, Quebec) has developed
|>a GRASS/Tk display widget.  The widget uses standard X
|>communications mechanisms so it is VERY FAST.  Since it

I can't wait to check out papers on this at the grass users'
conference.

As it is now, though, it's almost unusable (kinda bad when we've
converted our teaching laboratory to Solaris machines)

--Darrell

James Darrell McCauley, Purdue Univ, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1146, USA
mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu, mccauley%ecn at purccvm.bitnet, pur-ee!mccauley
** will finish PhD/engr in 9/94 - need job. inquiries welcome (no hh, plz) **