Please Help a new user start using Grass

Lewis Beard lewis at damops.wes.army.mil
Tue Feb 15 12:35:23 EST 1994

All,

Hi. I'll be running Grass 4.1 on an HP 9000 715/50 running HPUX 9.01.
I have ftped the 127 Meg file that includes both source and binaries,
and have set up grass on the machine here. I havent tried to compile
it yet due to a note in that release about getting certain library files
or header files before I compile it. So, I'm using the binaries, and I
have no problem with that. I.E. I dont need to compile Grass anytime soon.

OK, first off I'll say that I don't have access to a postscript printer or
tex or anything like that, so It's made it hard for me to find docs or
intallation guides. All i have are the text docs that describe each Grass
feature (d.3d, d.rast.edit, etc), so forgive me if these questions are some-
where in a manual i dont have.

a) ARE there any pure text manuals? Where can I ftp them?

b) What are the GISBASE permissions? I mean, I know how to define the GISBASE
in the files I had to alter, but I'm not sure what permissions I need to
set up for other users in terms of them being able to modify datasets
in their own area of the GISBASE without altering the permanent GISBASE.

c) Where can I get other datasets? I am teaching myself Grass 4.1 and I'd like
to have a variety of datasets to work on. When I get these datasets, where do
I need to install them within GISBASE? Sorry if these questions seem
elementary.

Basically my problem is that I cant find any OVERVIEW type manuals or any
installation manuals (other than the 2 page one that  I followed to get grass
to run properly) in a form I can read or print.

Thanks.