projection problems

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Thu Feb 17 09:46:35 EST 1994

>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 14:52:26 +0100
>From: Sven Fuhrmann <sven at linus.uni-muenster.de>
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Subject: projection problems
>
>Dear GRASS-user,
>
>Currently I am working with DTM-raster data using GRASS4.1.
>
>The standard region (Mercator) is set to the third central meridian
>(9 degrees = 3,500,000 meters). I would like to project this data to
>the second meridian (6 degrees = 2,500,000 meters) using GRASS4.1.
>
>Does anyone has knowledge of a GRASS4.1 command performing this kind
>of projection for the whole rastermap?
>
>I do appreciate any idea to solve this problem and I thank you
>in advance for helping me.
>
>Marie Luelff
>marie at linus.uni-muenster.de

This message seems to contain several problems:

(1) "standard region (Mercator)"---what standard? GK, UTM?  If either
	than please use Transverse Mercator, not simply Mercator.

(2) If the reference is to the GK system, then I do not believe that
	there is any 6 degree meridian.  They should be 3, 9, 15E, ...,
	for respective zones 1, 2, 3, ... .  The false eastings seem to
	fit GK usage but the central meridian does not.

Note: I am using GK in the sense of the old Eastern block equivalent
to UTM, not the computation method (equivalent to that used in UTM).

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027