XGRASS compilation

Chris Rewerts rewerts at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 17 14:12:56 EST 1994

In info.grass.user you write:

>Since questions about xgen seem to draw deafening silences, I'm left
>wondering if anyone else is using it.  Or is tcltk considered the way
>to go?

>Re xgen: I have a number of questions.  For example, can you pass
>variables into an xgen script?  and How do you address a cell in an
>xgen table using variables?

>- Bob (black at calspan.com)

I am still using xgen (writing a new script today, as a matter of fact).
I saw  your question about xgen table, but didn't respond since I
haven't played with tables. Meanwhile, passing variables is doable
(but like other things with xgen, sometimes you have to go about
it in a round-about way).
One way is with shell environmental variables. Another method I use
which may or may not be usefull to you (depending on what you are
doing) is making use of the fact that an xgen script is first read
by cpp (the C language preprocessor), so one can make use of some
of its capabilities. For instance, I have a header file wherein I
set up a bunch of parameters like colors, fonts, x-y locations, and
such that can be used by a number of xgen scripts by using the cpp
#define and #include references.

chris