Importing DXF files

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Mon Feb 28 21:34:24 EST 1994

> I am trying to import some dxf files into grass. I am successful in
> getting a vector map. However, no attributes or map categories are
> attached to the vectors. When doing v.support, it says that the
> highest category is 0. When I try to do v.to.rast, I get no raster
> grid cells. In fact, r.report says there are no categories.
>
> The DXF file has 15 layers of different themes. Each layer becomes
> a new vector map which can be displayed. However, the problem is
> as described above, NO CATEGORIES....
>
> Am I missing something????
>
> Thanks
> Piotr Kaleta

Nope. I quote the manual page for v.in.dxf:

     Attributes:
     The v.in.dxf program attaches attributes only to DXF text
     data that are converted to GRASS vector data (such as
     contour line labels).  Attributes are not attached to
     converted DXF line data.             ^^^^^

This is why dxf is one of the *least* desirable formats to bring data into
GRASS with. :-(
Regards,
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159