NY TIMES NEWS: "Oldsmobile to offer in-car navigation system this year"

Michael Rose michael.rose at sfwmd.gov
Wed Jan 5 10:15:34 EST 1994

Info-junkies worldwide,

I saw this newspaper article in the New York
Times.  I am providing it for your information.
It will surely provoke some email conversations
and discussions on the net.  (note: I do not
have affliation with any of these companies,
nor do I endorse any particular products.)

Read on.  It was definitely written for the
general public's reading consumption. :)

Mike

{reprinted from the New York Times, 1/5/94}

Oldsmobile to offer in-car
navigation system this year
---------------------------

DETROIT - Where is the nearest hospital?
What is the best way to get from here to
West Bloomsfield?  How far is Tiger Stadium?

Today, a driver would have to roll down the
window and ask.  But later this year the car
itself will be able to answer, complete with
maps and step-by-step directions -- at least
if the car is an Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS,
with a US $2,000.00 option called the
Navigation/Information System.

A small antenna in the car picks up signals
from satellites launched years ago by the
Pentagon.  A small computer in the trunck,
making calculations like a surveyor, triangulates
between the signals to find the car's location.

A gyroscope and the odometer also feed info-
rmation to the computer, allowing dead-reckoning.

The computer knows the names of most streets,
which streets are one way, where left turns are
legal, and when a turn is a 90-degree angle or
when it is sharper or more gentle.

But, driver be warned:  It knows very little
about U-turns.  Last year, it told a test driver
in Chicago to make one, and he did, and got a
ticket, B.L. Porterfield, an Oldsmobile engineer,
recalled.

The system was designed and first tested in
California, Porterfield said, and "U-turns are
popular there, apparently, and legal."

The system is not completely new; some Japanese
automakers offer similar ones for use in Japan,
and some after-market systems are available in
this country.

But the Olds system is the first to be offered
by a U.S. carmaker.  It combines the features
of an atlas, a computer, and the yellow pages
phone book.

The information appears on a liquid-crystal-
display screen that measures 4 inches diagonally,
attached to the center of the dashboard on an arm
like the one that supports a rear-view mirror.

About two-tenths of a mile in advance of each turn,
a voice that sounds like it was borrowed from a
child's video game says, "turn left" or "turn right."

Software engineers are still developing a database
to cover the whole country, but is will soon know
the way almost everywhere, including all the streets
in major cities, and thoroughfares down to the county
road in less populous areas.