Converting ASCII data to raster format

Bill Hargrove hnw at mtqgrass.ESD.ORNL.GOV
Thu Jan 6 17:22:47 EST 1994

Kym:

     What you want to do is not easy.  I would use a low tension (like 4)
with only the offshore points to establish the "floor" of the "bowl".

     Then I would make the resolution somewhat coarser, and use something
like r.stats -xlq to "resample" this floor and create a new site list.
These sites will serve to fasten down the floor of the bowl.

     Then I would combine all 3 sets of points into a single sites file and
respline with higher tension (say 150).  The result should be a bowl where
everything connects smoothly.

     I'd be interested in any feedback on this idea.
   ____                          Oak Ridge National Laboratory
    /  )      /  /      /  /     Environmental Sciences Division
   /--<   o  /  /      /--/      P.O. Box 2008, M.S. 6038
  /___/__<__/__/_     /  / _     Oak Ridge, TN  37830-6038
William W. Hargrove              (615) 574-1902
hnw at mtqgrass.esd.ornl.gov        (615) 576-8646 (fax)