ERS-1 imagery

O. Hellwich olaf at photo.verm.tu-muenchen.de
Fri Jan 14 17:49:26 EST 1994

Hi Andrea and Jim,

Just browsing the GRASS mail of the past month, I am sorry for
the late reply.

>> I have been working on ERS-1 imagery but I have not tried to do
>> anything with it in Grass yet.  How did you import that data
>> into grass?  I was recently thinking of trying this and any
>> help you could give would be greatly appreciated.  It's great
>> imagery, don't you think?
>>
>> Jim
>> jim at sar_ws.fb4.noaa.gov
>>
>I wrote a small C program that cuts windows out of the ERS data
>and re-writes it in a format readable by r.in.ascii. If you are interested
>I can mail it to you. It works for images in the PRI format (that ESA
>calls "SAR precision image"). If you have data in other formats, I cannot
>help you directly, but you would have to contact ESA and ask for the
>specific documentation where your file format is described...

I have written two short GRASS programs reading ERS-1 images in CEOS format:
one for SLC products, the other one for GEC or GTC products. If you like,
I can send you the program code.

What I still have to do is writing a program that reads PRI products in
VMP format. If that is what your program does, Andrea, I would be very
interested.

All the best
Olaf