GRASS on PC-DOS

Cao Changyong changyoc at daisy.siue.edu
Wed Jan 19 00:10:51 EST 1994

>GRASS will run on pc type machines under various flavors of
>UNIX.  I have not heard of a version for pc's running MSDOS.  Because of this
>I am working on converting GRASS to MSDOS.  It won't be ready for a while and
>will probably be released in a MFU (Most Frequently Used) sequence of
>modules.  d.display and it's attendant programs will probably be ready in a
>couple of weeks.  v.digit and LTPlus are next on the list.  Others will follow.

>Doug Dotson, President
>Speleotechnologies
>P.O. Box 504
>Owings Mills, Maryland 21117-0504
>(410) 356-9076
>dotson at clark.net

Hi,
    I remember that a few months ago, there was quite a bit of discussion on
GRASS on PC-DOS.  Someone (from .gov) said that he ported most part of GRASS
on DOS and even gave an Internet address for his paper about it.  I can't
remember his name/address but I think that one can dig it out from the archives
for the GIS-L.
    I understand there could be potentially a large number of users looking for
GRASS on DOS.  But why DOS rather than Windows?  Besides, for power users, they
can get GRASS on Linux--which is closer to the real thing.

Cao
changyoc at daisy.siue.edu