How to interpolate an elevation raster from vector data set?

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Wed Jan 19 10:40:11 EST 1994

Hello, Andreas

> 	I digitized a topographic map (scale 1:25000) to get a vector
> 	data set with contours, representing the elevation.
>
> 	How to interpolate the vector data set to generate a raster
> 	data set representing the elevation information?

s.surf.tps offers the most control over such interpolations. Use v.to.rast to
convert your contour lines to raster at an appropriate resolution (20m ?), then
use r.stats -1zg input=raster_file_name | s.in.ascii sites=new_sitesfile_name .
We found it helpful to thin out the raster data a little with r.random; we ended
up using 30% of the original raster cells to get good results. The unused cells
can be used to check the interpolated output.

You could also get your hands on a pre-alpha (?) version of v.surf.tps from
irena at zorro.cecer.army.mil (hope that's the correct address!). No documentation
on this one yet!

Regards,
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159