making slides

John Mackenzie john at moose.ags.udel.edu
Thu Jan 20 15:53:59 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Wed Jan 19 15:27:13 1994
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 14:58:14 -0500
> From: mike camann <camann at pick.uga.edu>
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: making slides
>
> GRASS users--
>
> Has anyone succeeded in making slides directly from GRASS images, as
> opposed to photographing the screen?  If so, how did you do it?
>
> I have just tried making an X window dump, then using pbmplus to
> convert the result to a TIFF file for importation into Harvard
> Graphics, e.g.:
>
> d.rast my_map
> xwd | xwdtopnm | pnmtotiff > my_map.tif
>
> I then point the PC at my_map.tif and HG imports it without difficulty,
> but the colors are all messed up.  The original image had 100 colors,
> but xwdtopnm reports finding only 14, and none of the 14 that it finds
> are the same as any of the original 100.  I suspect the problem lies
> with the xwdtopnm program, because xwud displays the original image
> (saved to a file, of course, instead of the pipe) without color
> distortion.  Pbmplus does not seem the way to go.
>
> That being the case, has anyone succeeded with another approach?
> Thanks in advance for any advice.  Since this sounds like something
> that might be of general interest, I will summarize for the net.
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Michael Camann                          camann at dial.pick.uga.edu
> Department of Entomology                camann at phoenix.cs.uga.edu
> University of Georgia                   (706) 542-1388
> Athens, GA 30602                        (706) 542-2276
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Hi Mike,

Here's another approach we have just started playing with here:
We're running Hummingbird's Exceed X emulator on a 486 microcomputer
(under MS Windows), running GRASS remotely.  It's a little
shaky, i.e., if you drop ;another window on top of your
GRASS monitor window, you've lost whatever was painted
there.  But you can easily  cut the image out of the
monitor window and paste it into the graphics package of your choice
(MS Powerpoint or Lotus Freelance).  It''s easier doing
miscellaneous annotations with these rather than with GRASS's
d.title, d.label, etc., and then generating your slides.  I don't
know what Exceed costs, but we got it cheap through some University-
wide licensing scheme.

John Mackenzie
FREC, U. of Delaware