let's standardize sites

Glenn C. Kroeger gkroeger at physics.trinity.edu
Mon Jan 24 15:07:48 EST 1994

>Malcom Williamson writes:
>I'm not sure that I follow this logic. Some users need to interpolate from
>elevation data; others need to interpolate non-elevation data, as you indicate
>above. Are you suggesting that the z field be reserved for *only* elevation?
>How would you choose which value to interpolate from? I'm sure that you've
>considered this, but I wasn't able to extract how you were suggesting the
>handling of it.

Certainly individuals could write code to use this field for any value.
But, from a conceptual standpoint, a spatial system such as GRASS, that
already has rudimentary 3D display capabilities, ought to fundamentally
view sites as positions in 3 dimensional space.

Additional data ought to be extensible if possible.

Glenn C. Kroeger, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Geology
Director of Environmental Studies
Trinity University, 715 Stadium Dr., San Antonio, TX 78212
(210) 736-7607
gkroeger at geology.trinity.edu