vector(lines) to raster

Susan Huse sue at ced.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 24 15:10:15 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Mon Jan 24 08:49:58 1994
> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 94 23:38:42 +0800
> From: H. Y. Lin <hylin at ev004.ev.nctu.edu.tw>
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: vector(lines) to raster
>

> Dear User:
>      I am new in Grass and have a stupid question.  How to transfer Vector
> map to Raster map which contains only lines ( just like rivers, roads).
> I know there is a command called " v.to.rast" ,but it can't solve my problem.
> Does anyone know how to do it?
> Thank You Very Much
>

> | Hung-Yue Lin , 	Email:hylin at ev004.ev.nctu.edu.tw
> | Institute of Environmental Engineering  Voice:011-886-35-712121-2929
> | National Chiao Tung University          Voice:011-886-35-712171x2928
> | Street: 75 Po-Ai Street, Hsinchu, Taiwan 30090, R.O.C.

I'm not sure why it won't solve your problem.  If the lines have labels
attached to them (you can check in v.digit, or use d.what.vect), they
will be translated by v.to.rast.
The new raster map will contain strips of raster cells along that vector
line, of a size determined by the resolution of the region you are
in when you invoke v.to.rast.

If they are labeled, and you used v.to.rast, and it didn't seem to
work, try looking at your current region, or see if there is a mask
running.  v.to.rast looks at both of these when it creates a new raster
file.

If there is some other difficulty that I did not understand you
can email me directly sue at ced.berkeley.edu

Sue Huse
CEDR - REGIS
University of California, Berkeley