Deriving a catchment boundary in GRASS

N R A nra at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 08:30:00 EST 1994

Can anyone tell me if it's possible in GRASS to simply derive a catchment
boundary. All we want to do is to point to a point on a river and for the
system to derive the catchment to that point.

I've tried the 'r.watershed' function, but it doesn't seem to work with
the spearfish test data - although I think it's more likely that I'm not
using it correctly.

I'm thinking of creating a new function, which will mean the users will
only have to point at a spot on the screen, in a similar way to 'd.where'
and the system will go on to
i) derive the catchment boundary and
ii) calculate various stats (catchment area, percentage of various raster
maps, e.g. soils, potential evaporation, etc., in the derived catchment
area)

Anyone done this and/or could point me at the code ?

Any help much appreciated
Thanks,

Steve C.