To awk is human, to GUI divine ...?

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Tue Jan 25 21:02:42 EST 1994

On Tue, 25 Jan 1994, Nick Reddingius wrote:

> Glenn C. Kroeger writes (in part):
>
> > The problem with FREE (as opposed to OPEN) software is that
> > it lacks this form of directed input.
> >
> > .... But that means we have to address ease of use issues. The
> > attitude "let them use awk" is exactly what GRASS doesn't need.
>
> That is the point all commercial vendors make, and Glenn is right.
> GRASS may be the greatest system, but it will be a footnote in GIS-
> land if it doesn't keep up in both technical features and ease of
> use.

Even as somebody outside of CERL, I don't think GRASS has to compete with
any GIS products (commercial or otherwise) for which the source code is
not readily available. If I were CERL, I would probably be saying the same
thing, only more vehemently, since CERL targets GRASS for a certain
subset of the de facto user community. That is their prerogative.

I don't understand how you differentiate between 'greatest system' and
'technical features and ease of use'. I value functionality and openness
over market share, or I'd be committed to MS-DOS and MS-Windows. And
to McDonald's hamburgers.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296