let's standardize sites

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Jan 25 23:34:52 EST 1994

Soo..... where does this leave us?

Personally, I don't think that the multi-dimension is too bad.
After all, Helena has tools that work in higher dimensions.

One thing that I was really after in the beginning with was to
solidify the notion that any number directly following a '#' was
to be interpreted as an integer category number (not a floating point
number). This appears to be okay with everyone.

I've also read (and wrote) that multiple attributes should be left to
a database program. If not, then we get potential confusion by the
user on which field is actually being used.  If we can agree to leave
this to external software, then modifying Dave's suggestion gives us:

<easting>|<northing>|[z|[d4|]...][#category_int] [attr_text OR %flt]

So, who has a prototype for the new G_get_site()? Should
we use varargs or just a pointer-to-pointer-to-double
(along with an int and pointer-to-char)?

--Darrell

James Darrell McCauley, Purdue Univ, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1146, USA
mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu, mccauley%ecn at purccvm.bitnet, pur-ee!mccauley
** will finish PhD/engr in 9/94 - need job. inquiries welcome (no hh, plz) **