Plotter problems and Help in MAPGEN

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Wed Jan 26 17:26:47 EST 1994

> Plotter problems in mapgen:
>
> There are a couple of small things on your hardware that could cause
> the plot to be cut along an edge:
>
> 1. verify that expanded mode is set to on.  This resets the plotting
> area to the hard clip extent.
>
> 2. if your hardware is anything other than an HPdraftmaster I
> (i.e., 7595), then set the emulation on your device for 7595
> or 7596a.  Refer to the discussion on "plotter drivers" under
> Appendix I-a, GRASS-MAPGEN User's Guide, version 4.1.  There
> is a lot of good stuff about plotters on these pages.
>

> If the problem still persists on your hardware then get GRASS-MAPGEN
> 4.1 and take advantage of the offset file option written into the
> hpgl plotter driver.  On page 4 of the "plotter drivers" discussion
> the .offset file is explained.  The user can move the plot anywhere
> on the paper by creating this file under the current mapgen map.  The
> desired offset distance should be multipled by 1016 (i.e., 4 inches X
> 1016 = offset value ).  Enter a value for both the x and y axis
> (i.e., 4064 1016 ).  Be sure to verify that your map extent will still
> fit on the desired paper size with the expanded offset or the plot will
> be clipped by the paper size limits.
>

> Additionally, GRASS-MAPGEN 4.1 IS WORKING with GRASS 4.1 software.
> There are a lot of helpful changes to the Interface.  If you are
> not using the new 4.1 version, a working copy is on MOON.  If you
> only want binary, you can request a copy of the latest GRASS-MAPGEN
> 4.12 from SCS in Ft. Worth.  Send in a blank tape along with your
> request to expedite (compiled for 6386 or SUN platforms only).

Just to clarify a few items here:
We only have binaries for AT&T 3.2.x Unix for the 386.  The Sun platform
binaries are for Sun Sparcstations running SunOS 4.1.x.  Also, we normally
only distribute binaries to SCS offices and to official co-operators.
We have upon occassion distributed source/binaries to others upon special
request.  For those do it yourselfers out their; all of our code has
been turned in to CERL and should be available on moon.  You just have
to compile it yourself.

> I hope this helps all you MAPGENers!
>
> Jill Schuler
> SCS, ISS section,
> NCG, Ft. Worth, Texas
> (817) 334-5559 X-3086
>

> ----- End Included Message -----

Hope this did not rain on anyone's parade.

Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS
NCG
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov