poor display resolution

Morris Trimmer TRIMMER at fs.sciences.WLU.EDU
Mon Jul 18 16:42:50 EDT 1994

    We have imported scanned photos and everything seems fine
except that when we display them there seems only to be 8 shades of
grey while we have 16 categories.  We intend to rectify these and
map on them with digit.  It would be very helpful if we could get all
shades shown on the display.  Any suggestions?
  The color file ( grass4.1/data/'location'/'mapset'/color/'rasterfile')
shows the 256 colors evenly devided among the 16 categories.  Also
when I display the photo with the xgrass 'Display Tool' the other
shades are visible.  Why does my d.mon display monitor only show
the eight?  Can I change it?  Will I have this problem with color photos
as well?
  Thanks tons.