F77 on linux

tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu
Thu Jul 28 22:36:46 EDT 1994

As a follow up to the recent request and responses for F77 on Linux
here are the relevant references from the Free Software Foundation
June 1994 Project GNU's Bulletin...

   * `f2c'	   (LangT, SrcCD)

     `f2c' converts Fortran-77 source files into C or C++, which can be
     compiled with GCC.	 You can get bug fixes via FTP from `netlib.att.com'
     in the file `/netlib/f2c/changes.Z' or by email from
     `netlib at research.att.com'.	 See ``Forthcoming GNUs'', for information
     about GNU Fortran...

   * GNU Fortran	 (For info on `f2c' & GCC, see ``GNU Software''.)

     GNU Fortran (`g77') is in "private" alpha test (testing by a small group
     of experts) and is not yet publicly released.  Until `g77' is fully
     released to the public, we ask people to use `f2c' (a Fortran-to-C
     translator) with GCC.  As `g77' uses a lot of these tools (the `f2c'
     libraries and the GCC back end), using them and reporting any problems
     you find will help speed the release of `g77'.

     The primary focus of the alpha test is to test the `g77' front end,
     since that has most of the new code.  The secondary focus of the alpha
     test is to test the integration between the front end and the back end.
     Currently, this is where most of the bugs seem to be.  The tertiary focus
     is the quality of code generated by the GNU back end for Fortran.

     We hope to have a `g77' beta release in summer 1994, as part of the
     regular compiler distribution.  A mailing list exists for announcements
     about `g77'.  To subscribe, ask
     `info-gnu-fortran-request at prep.ai.mit.edu'.  To contact the author and
     maintainer of `g77', write to `fortran at prep.ai.mit.edu'.

And in the way of relevant background info on Linux....

   * Linux: a free Unix system for 386 machines

     Linux (named after its main author, Linus Torvalds) is a free Unix clone
     that implements POSIX.1 functionality with SysV and BSD extensions.
     Linux has been written from scratch and contains no proprietary code.
     Many of the utilities and libraries are GNU Project software.  Linux
     currently runs only on 386/486/Pentium machines, with ISA/EISA/PCI-bus
     machines, but a port to the m68k family is in early alpha testing (it
     currently only runs on high end Amiga computers).  Linux is freely
     re-distributable and available via anonymous FTP from `tsx-11.mit.edu'
     in `/pub/linux' (USA) & `nic.funet.fi' in `/pub/OS/Linux' (Europe).
     Many of the utilities and libraries are GNU Project software.  Linux
     Ask `linux-activists-request at niksula.hut.fi' about mailing lists.  See
     the USENET newsgroups, such as `comp.os.linux.misc', for discussions.
     currently only runs on high end Amiga computers).  Linux is freely

   * Debian GNU/Linux and available via anonymous FTP from `tsx-11.mit.edu'
     in `/pub/linux' (USA) & `nic.funet.fi' in `/pub/OS/Linux' (Europe).
     Debian GNU/Linux is a complete, full-featured system based on GNU and
     Linux that is easy to install and configure.  It was initially created
     by Ian Murdock and has grown into an open and distributed project in
     which everyone is welcome to directly participate.  Debian is available
     from `sunsite.unc.edu' in `/pub/Linux/distributions/debian'.  For more
     information about the Debian project and how to get involved, see
     `/pub/Linux/distributions/debian/info'.

How to Get GNU Software
***********************

All the software and publications from the Free Software Foundation are
distributed with permission to copy and redistribute.  The easiest way to get
GNU software is to copy it from someone else who has it.  You can get GNU
software direct from the FSF by ordering diskettes, tapes, or CD-ROMs.	Such
orders provide most of the funds for the FSF staff to develop more free
software, so please support our work by ordering if you can.  See the ``Free
Software Foundation Order Form''.

There are also third party groups who distribute our software; they do not
work with us, but can provide our software in other forms.  Some are listed in
``Free Software for Microcomputers''.  Please note that the Free Software
Foundation is *not* affiliated with them in any way and is *not* responsible
for either the currency of their versions or the swiftness of their responses.

If you decide to do business with one of these distributors, ask them how
much they do to assist free software development, e.g., by contributing money
to free software development projects or by writing free software themselves
for general use.  By basing your decision partially on this factor, you can
help encourage those who profit from free software to contribute to its
growth.

Our main FTP host is very busy and only allows a limited number of FTP
logins.	 Please use one of these other TCP/IP Internet sites that also
provide GNU software via anonymous FTP (program: `ftp', user: `anonymous',
password: YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS, mode: `binary').	 If you have FTP access but
can't reach one of the hosts listed below, you can get the software via FTP
using the same protocol from GNU's main FTP host, `prep.ai.mit.edu' (IP
address is `18.71.0.38').  For more details, get the file
`/pub/gnu/GETTING.GNU.SOFTWARE'.

   * Africa: `ftp.sun.ac.za'.

   * Australasia: `archie.au' (`archie.oz' for ACSnet),
     `cair.kaist.ac.kr', `utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp', `ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp'.

   * Canada: `ftp.cs.ubc.ca'.

   * Europe: `ugle.unit.no', `ftp.stacken.kth.se', `isy.liu.se',
     `ftp.luth.se',
     `ftp.stacken.kth.se' (in `/pub/GNU-VMS'), `ftp.mcc.ac.uk',
     `unix.hensa.ac.uk' (get the `README' first), `ftp.win.tue.nl',
     `ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de', `ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de',
     `ftp.funet.fi', `ftp.denet.dk', `ftp.eunet.ch',	`nic.switch.ch',
     `irisa.irisa.fr', `ftp.univ-lyon1.fr', `archive.eu.net'.

   * USA: `labrea.stanford.edu', `ftp.kpc.com', `ftp.cs.widener.edu',
     `ftp.digex.net', `ftp.cs.columbia.edu',  `vixen.cso.uiuc.edu',
     `mango.rsmas.miami.edu' (VMS GCC), `ftp.hawaii.edu',
     `gatekeeper.dec.com', `ftp.uu.net' (in `/systems/gnu').

Those on JANET can look under `src.doc.ic.ac.uk' in `/gnu'.

Those who can UUCP can get UUCP instructions via electronic mail from:

     info at contrib.de (Europe) and toku at dit.co.jp (Japan)

For those without Internet access, see ``Free Software Support'', for
information on getting electronic mail and file transfer via UUCP.

Free Software Support
*********************

The Free Software Foundation does not provide any technical support.
Although we create software, we leave it to others to earn a living providing
support.  We see programmers as providing a service, much as doctors and
lawyers now do; both medical and legal knowledge are freely redistributable
entities for which the practitioners charge a distribution and service fee.

The GNU Service Directory is a list of people who offer support and other
consulting services.  It is in the file `etc/SERVICE' in the GNU Emacs
distribution, `SERVICE' in the GCC distribution and `/pub/gnu/GNUinfo/SERVICE'
on GNU's FTP host `prep.ai.mit.edu'.  Contact us if you would like a copy or
wish to be listed in it.  Those companies who share their income with the FSF
are listed in ``Help from Free Software Companies''.

If you find a deficiency in any GNU software, we want to know.	We have many
Internet mailing lists for bug reports, announcements and questions.  They
are also gatewayed into USENET news as the `gnu.*' newsgroups.	You can
request a list of the mailing lists from either address on the front cover.

When we receive a bug report, we usually try to fix the problem.  While our
bug fixes may seem like individual assistance, they are not.  Our task is so
large that we must focus on that which helps the community as a whole; we do
not have the resources to help individuals.  We may send you a patch for a
bug so that you can help us test the fix and ensure its quality.  If your bug
report does not evoke a solution from us, you may still get one from another
user who reads our bug report mailing lists.  Otherwise, use the Service
Directory.

Please do not ask us to help you install software or figure out how to use
it--but do tell us how an installation script does not work or where
documentation is unclear.

If you have no Internet access, you can get mail and USENET news via UUCP.
Contact a local UUCP site, or a commercial UUCP site such as:

	UUNET Communications Services
	3110 Fairview Park Drive -- Suite 570
	Falls Church, VA   22042
	USA

	Telephone: +1-800-4UUNET4
		   +1-703-204-8000
	Fax:	   +1-703-204-8001
	Electronic-Mail: `info at uunet.uu.net'

A list of commercial UUCP and Internet service providers is posted
periodically to USENET in the newsgroup `news.announce.newusers' with
`Subject: How to become a USENET site'.	 You can also get it via anonymous
FTP from `rtfm.mit.edu' in the file `How_to_become_a_USENET_site', in the
directory `/pub/usenet-by-group/news.announce.newusers'.

When choosing a service provider, ask those you are considering how much they
do to assist free software development, e.g., by contributing money to free
software development or by writing free software improvements themselves for
general use.  By basing your decision partially on this factor, you can help
encourage those who profit from free software to contribute to its growth.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
T. Turner, FSF Fundraiser &               Free Software Foundation (FSF)
FSF/Project GNU Volunteer                 675 Massachusetts Avenue
545 Tech Square, Room 426                 Cambridge, MA    02139-3309
Cambridge, MA 02139                       Voice:      +1 617 876 3296
Voice:   +1  617 253 8568                 Facsimile:  +1 617 492 9057
Internet: tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu          Internet: gnu at prep.ai.mit.edu

                  ***    ***********************     ***
                *****   *****    PROJECT    *****   *****
                *****   *****    G     U    *****   *****
                 ****   *****       N       *****   *****
                 ****   *****  TEN     !!!  *****    ***
                 ****   *****     YEARS     *****     *
                ******  *************************    ***
                ******   ***********************      *

                       *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
                       I  I  I  I  I  I  I  I  I  I
               @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
               @ H A P P Y  1 0 th  A N N I V E R S A R Y @
               @ ^ ^ R  @@@@@@@   @@@    @@@  @@@     @@@ @
               @ * * O @@@@   @@  @@@@   @@@  @@@     @@@ @
               @  |  J @@@        @@@@@  @@@  @@@     @@@ @
               @     E @@@  @@@@  @@@ @@ @@@  @@@     @@@ @
               @ \_/ C @@@@  @@@  @@@  @@@@@  @@@     @@@ @
               @ Free Software Foundation:   617 876 3296 @
               @ 675 Mass. Avenue     Fax:   617 492 9057 @
               @ Cambridge, MA 02139  gnu at prep.ai.mit.edu @
         For the full GNU's bulletin ask tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu
                 Copyleft :-) 1994 Turner Internet Posts
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
FSF PROJECT GNU  *  TEN YEARS BUILDING OPEN SYSTEMS  *  MADE GOOD AND FREE