lat/long

Simon Cox s.cox at dem.csiro.au
Wed Jun 1 05:01:37 EDT 1994

>Hi,
>
>I'am trying to convert data from lat/long format to UTM
>I seem to get different results depending on the conversion program I use and
>the format that the lat/long is provided.

Joe - I found that if you use decimal degrees, then you have to use +/-
notation to indicate N/S or E/W.  I notified CERL so that they could either
fix it or update the manual.  I don't know which path they chose.  Try that
fix, anyway, and see if it makes things more consistent.  Alternatively,
you might like to use Gerry Evenden's PROJ program, which is available from

charon.er.usgs.gov:/pub/PROJ.4  (128.128.40.24)

(I will be installing this at DEM Nedlands as soon as they give me some disk!)

Cheers

Simon Cox

____
Dr Simon Cox                             __  L
CSIRO Div. Exploration & Mining       ,~'  L_|\       Australian
39 Fairway, PO Box 437,            ,-'         \      Geodynamics
Nedlands, WA  6009,  Australia     (            \     Cooperative
      Phone +61 9 389 8421         X    ___     /     Research
      Fax   +61 9 389 1906          L,~'   "\__/      Centre
s.cox at dem.csiro.au                            v