No subject

News Account news at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU
Fri Jun 3 09:57:42 EDT 1994

Newsgroups: info.grass.user
From: ront at picea.CFNR.ColoState.EDU (Ronald Thomas)
Subject: Re: your mail (arc vs grass)
Sender: news at yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU (News Account)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 13:57:41 GMT

In article <199406030211.TAA28383 at netcom.com> grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil writes:
>dear fed up with grass -
>
>perhaps you are underestimating the time it will take for you to
>learn arc-info.

No, but I am confident in my abilities to learn quickly and effectively.
I've also sought and fostered contacts with current ARC users (in private
industry, academia, other agencies), so I have sources of
advise/assistance.

>I am personally fed up with bureaucrats who have to have the newest
>toy on the block when the one they have now works just fine.  I would
>(stuff deleted .... )
>(or at least a couple of junkets to training sessions)
>
>Jim Klein

Let's see : YOU're fed up with bureaucrats who have to have new toys.
In my list of reasons of why we are switching to ARC, I don't seem to
recall "looking forward to wasting taxpayer's money, want a new toy" as one
of our reasons.

Many OTHER taxpayers are fed up with disjointed government agencies that
have data and systems that can't be used together. (ie. our GRASS database
and the USFS's ARC or MOSS database, the counties ARC database, the SCS's
GRASS database, the local NBS Global Climate Change project's IDRISI database,
etc.)  THIS is the MAIN reason we are buying ARC.

Again, we are NOT anti-GRASS --  obviously, you are anti-ARC, and are so
anti-government that any of the good hard-working people that do work in
any of the government agencies are nameless, faceless, worthless, money
wasting bureaucrats --  I take offense at your comments.

My opinions, not those of the NPS, etc......

Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1285
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517