Grass database linkage [Linux]

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Fri Jun 3 16:17:33 EDT 1994

> We are fairly new users of a GRASS/Linux system, and have several
> questions.  We will be trying to integrate a development model which
> grows mosquitoes in wetlands at rates depending on temperature,
> salinity, and nutrient levels.  As I see the problem, one of the first
> tasks is to obtain a database to store the relevant weather and water
> quality data associated with the specific sites.  What databases are
> available which will run under Linux?  Any suggestions on how to
> structure the database?  We will probably run the model externally to
> GRASS and capture the output for import into site files.
>
> Thank you in advance for your advice
>
> 	Bill Voigt

As both sites lists and reclass rule files are simple ascii files, there is
really no necessity to have the database on your Linux system. In other words,
run your favorite DOS-based database program and simply output your reports
as ascii text. You can then copy these files to your Linux file system and use
them as input data for GRASS. I believe that you'll find the extra steps pretty
minor in the overall scheme of your GIS work.
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159