X driver

Simon Cox s.cox at dem.csiro.au
Mon Jun 6 00:50:15 EDT 1994

>Hi all...
>
>A couple of questions about the X driver:
>
>1), is it supposed to erase when you resize it? I have never seen any X
>application deliberately do this, so is it a bug or what? Is there an
>improved version around?

I think this is due to the history of GRASS.  The XDRIVER is not a "real" X
implementation, just a painting window.  It inherited a sort of
lowest-common-denominator design philosophy of whatever would work on a
variety of pre-X display systems. In an ideal world the X-Driver would be
completely re-written at CERL, since it pretty much supercedes all the
other display systems, though since it is a software system it can be very
slow compared with more direct solutions, especially on systems like SGI.
The re-draw "feature" is not a bug.

>2) When you have more than one X monitor going, the colours on the
>second and subsequent monitors are wrong. Most noticeably, the
>background colour ends up grey rather than black. I suspect that this
>is not an X bug, as it happens both under openwindows and on our X11R5
>xterminals, although I could be wrong. Any explanation or fix?

I have noticed this too.  The differences are not great, but are real.
I Am Curious (Colors) [;-)... for all those obscure film buffs]

Simon Cox

____
Dr Simon Cox                             __  L
CSIRO Div. Exploration & Mining       ,~'  L_|\       Australian
39 Fairway, PO Box 437,            ,-'         \      Geodynamics
Nedlands, WA  6009,  Australia     (            \     Cooperative
      Phone +61 9 389 8421         X    ___     /     Research
      Fax   +61 9 389 1906          L,~'   "\__/      Centre
s.cox at dem.csiro.au                            v