Further limits of GRASS

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon Jun 27 10:01:27 EDT 1994

> Thanks for the responses to my problem on reading raster data into GRASS.
>
> One response mentioned having run out of space.
>
> We've installed a new 2Gbyte disk, the DTM ASCII file is about 42Mbytes,
> and there's >1Gbyte free space on it.
>
> The only thought I've had is how is GRASS processing the file - as our
> IPX only has 16Mbytes of RAM, I suppose it must be using virtual memory -
> is this 'swop space'. If I do a 'df' the system shows '/' has about
> 7.5Mbytes, '/usr' has 38Mbytes (+ others). Is the 7.5 Mbytes the swop
> space or is the 38 Mbtyes ?. If it is the 7.5 Mbytes, how can I increase
> the space ?

Steve,
The system is definately using swap space to increase virtual RAM for
your system.  Neither of the numbers you list here is swap space.  Sun
recommends that swap be at least as large as your physical RAM for
system dumps when the system crashes.  I will assume you are running
SunOS 4.1.x in which case use the command pstat -s to see the swap
space available on your system.  If you need help increasing swap let me
know and I can give you a few ideas.

Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS		"Hell, if you understand everything I say,
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov   you'd be me!"  - Miles Davis