GRASS installation on Silicon Graphics

John Talcott talcott at trg.saic.com
Tue Jun 28 20:49:57 EDT 1994

In article <199406281658.LAA13767 at diego.cecer.army.mil>,
brown at diego.cecer.army.mil (Bill Brown) wrote:

> Bob,
>
> [...]
>
> I'm compiling GRASS4.1 for IRIX5.2 as we speak, so there will probably be
> a new binary distribution of this available within a week or so (The
> current binary was compiled under IRIX4.0.5, I think).  If you're running
> pre-5.0 IRIX, you won't be able to use the new binary when it's released,
> though because SGI changed their executable format.  The current binary
> release should work on IRIX4.x or IRIX5.x.
>
> I'm not aware of any SGI-specific problems with hard links or FIFOS in
> GRASS.

 I have not had any problems with GRASS4.1 with IRIX 4.0.5. I don't use
the binary ftp version and had no problem installing it. I would be *very*
interested in knowing how the IRIX5.2 installation goes. Also, I didn't
realize that SGI binaries were not upwards compatible with IRIX5.2.

John C Talcott talcott at trg.saic.com
Science Applications Intl. Corp. (SAIC)
10260 Campus Point Drive
San Diego CA 92121