ghostview

tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu
Thu Jun 30 10:25:37 EDT 1994

                    ***    ***********************     ***
                  *****   *****    PROJECT    *****   *****
                  *****   *****    G     U    *****   *****
                   ****   *****       N       *****   *****
                   ****   *****  TEN     !!!  *****    ***
                   ****   *****     YEARS     *****     *
                  ******  *************************    ***
                  ******   ***********************      *

                  Free Software Foundation:+1 617 876 3296
                  675 Mass. Avenue     Fax:+1 617 492 9057
                  Cambridge, MA 02139  gnu at prep.ai.mit.edu

   * Ghostview	       (SrcCD, UtilT)

     Tim Theisen, `ghostview at cs.wisc.edu', has created Ghostview, a previewer
     for multi-page files that runs on top of Ghostscript.  Ghostview provides
     an X11 user interface for the Ghostscript interpreter.  Ghostview and
     Ghostscript function as two cooperating programs; Ghostview creates a
     viewing window and Ghostscript draws in it.  There is a port for
     Ghostview to MS-Windows called "GSview for Windows".  For information
     about future releases of this program, see ``Forthcoming GNUs''.

Related FSF GNU distributions...

   * Ghostscript	 (For current status, see ``GNU Software''.)

     Ghostscript 2.6.2, consisting of version 2.6.1 with bug fixes, will be
     released and distributed by FSF sometime in late 1994.  Ghostscript 3.0
     will be released and distributed by FSF in the second quarter of 1995; a
     future GNU's Bulletin will have a more definite date.  It will implement
     the full PostScript Level 2 language except for LZW compression, which
     can't be freely implemented because of software patents.  (Prohibitions
     like this on programming are what the League for Programming Freedom is
     fighting.	See ``What Is the LPF?'', for details.)

   * GSview for Windows and OS/2	 (Also see ``GNU Software''.)

     A new version of Russell Lang's Ghostview for Windows will be released
     during the second quarter of 1994.	 The name has been changed to "GSview
     for Windows" in order to avoid confusion with Tim Theisen's Ghostview.
     An OS/2 port called "PM GSview" will be released at the same time.	 For
     more information, contact Russell at `rjl at monu1.cc.monash.edu.au'.

   * Ghostscript	 (SrcCD, UtilT)

     Ghostscript is GNU's graphics language which is almost fully compatible
     with Postscript (see ``Forthcoming GNUs'').

     The current version of Ghostscript is 2.6.1.  Features include the
     ability to use the fonts provided by the platform on which Ghostscript
     runs (MIT X Window System and Microsoft Windows), resulting in much
     better-looking screen displays; improved text file printing (like
     `enscript'); a utility to extract the text from a Postscript document; a
     much more reliable (and faster) Microsoft Windows implementation;
     support for Microsoft C/C++ 7.0; drivers for many new printers,
     including the SPARCprinter, and for TIFF/F (fax) file format; many more
     Postscript Level 2 facilities, including most of the color space
     facilities (but not patterns), and the ability to switch between Level 1
     and Level 2 dynamically.

     Ghostscript accepts commands in Postscript and executes them by writing
     directly to a printer, drawing on an X window, or writing to a file that
     you can print later (or to a bitmap file that you can manipulate with
     other graphics programs).

     Ghostscript includes a C-callable graphics library (for client programs
     that do not want to deal with the Postscript language).  It also supports
     IBM PCs and compatibles with EGA, VGA, or SuperVGA graphics (but please
     do *not* ask the FSF staff any questions about this; we do not use PCs).

     See ``Forthcoming GNUs'', for plans for later releases of Ghostscript...

     Ask tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu for the full GNUsletter and you shall receive!

                        *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
                        I  I  I  I  I  I  I  I  I  I
                @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                @ H A P P Y  1 0 th  A N N I V E R S I T Y @
                @ ^ ^ R  @@@@@@@   @@@    @@@  @@@     @@@ @
                @ * * O @@@@    @  @@@@   @@@  @@@     @@@ @
                @   > J @@@        @@@@@  @@@  @@@     @@@ @
                @ Free Software Foundation +1-617-876-3296 @
                @ 675 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139-3309 @
                @ Electronic Mail to:  gnu at prep.ai.mit.edu @
            For the Free Software Foundation's Project GNUsletter
              Ask tturner at gnu.ai.mit.edu or fsf at gnu.ai.mit.edu
                   Copyleft :-) 1994 Turner Internet Posts