Problem with XDRIVER

BONFANTI at UDUNIV.CINECA.IT BONFANTI at UDUNIV.CINECA.IT
Wed Mar 2 13:52:00 EST 1994

I'm a new Grass user, and I have some problems with graphic drivers.
These are my hardware and software configurations:
- Sparcstation 10 with Solaris 2.3
- GNU compiler
- Grass 4.1 source code

I have compiled the sources with the following header file:

CC                  = gcc
ARCH                = sparc10

GISBASE             = /usr/users/grass/grass4.1
UNIX_BIN            = /usr/users/grass/bin

DEFAULT_DATABASE    = /usr/users/grass/grass.data
DEFAULT_LOCATION    =

COMPILE_FLAGS       = -O -traditional
LDFLAGS             = -s

XCFLAGS             = -D_NO_PROTO
XLDFLAGS            =
XINCPATH            = -I/usr/openwin/include
XMINCPATH           =
XLIBPATH            = -L/usr/openwin/lib
XTLIBPATH           = -L/usr/lib
XMLIBPATH           = -L/usr/lib
XLIB                = -lX11
XTLIB               = -lXt
XMLIB               = -lXm
XEXTRALIBS          =

TERMLIB             = -ltermlib
CURSES              = -lcurses $(TERMLIB)
MATHLIB             = -lm

#                   LIBRULE = ar ruv $@ $?
#                   LIBRULE = ar ruv $@ $?; ranlib $@
#                   LIBRULE = ar ruv $@ $?; ar ts $@
#                   LIBRULE = ar rc $@ `lorder $(OBJ) | tsort`
LIBRULE             = ar ruv $@ $?

USE_TERMIO          = -DUSE_TERMIO
USE_MTIO            = -DUSE_MTIO
USE_FTIME           =
DIGITFLAGS          = -DINTERPRO
VECTLIBFLAGS        =
GETHOSTNAME         = -DGETHOSTNAME_UNAME

I can't compile xgrass because I haven't got Motif libraries.

The compilation was done without any problems, and grass works well.
When I run d.mon for starting a graphic monitor, it runs very slowly,
and it takes about 30 seconds to start an X window with XDRIVER.
If I try to display a map with d.display, I receive the following
message:

<  GRASS 4.1 > d.display
<  ERROR - eof from graphics monitor.
<  ERROR - eof from graphics monitor.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set in .login as:
<   setenv OPENWINHOME /usr/openwin
<   setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH  $OPENWINHOME/lib

I tried to use direct Xlib Version 3.0 Release 5, adding the
following two lines to my .xinitrc just before
the window manager startup line (e.g. just before "sleep 15 & pid=$!"):

    <LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/SUNWdxlib/lib/dxlib/SunOS5.x:$OPENWINHOME/server/lib:$
OPENWINHOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
<export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

In this second case d.mon causes the reset of the system,
and the following message appears when it starts again:
 < BAD TRAP: ........
 < Xsun: Data fault
 < Kernel read fault at addr=0xc, pmr=0x0
 < MMU sfsr=326: Invalid Address ......

I will be grateful for any advice.

                                        Alessandro