Road discrimination

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Fri Mar 4 04:33:23 EST 1994

On Fri, 4 Mar 1994, joongsun wrote:

> I am looking for a method to extract roads automatically
> in remote sensed imagery such as Landsat TM or SPOT.
> Does anyone have idea of a sophisticated approach to the problem ?
> Information on previous works or publications would help me very
> much.

It's just like carving an elephant: start with a block of wood, and take
away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.

Although I'm not the epitome of an imagery whiz, I seem to recall that
even SPOT data gives you an awful lot of trouble finding classifications
that hold still for the kind of linear features you're looking for.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296