rim

martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl
Tue Mar 8 07:54:39 EST 1994

Seeing mail about RIM reminds me of a problem we had which was never
solved. I'll throw it on the list just to see what others make of it:

we created a rim database using RIM commands (define, columns, tables,
etc) and loaded it with data using the command
	load (database) from (ASCII data file) using (formatfile)
This succeeded without error messages or warnings.
Next, we wanted to approach this database from GRASS using the s.db.rim
command, and found two problems:
	- s.db.rim <databasename> fails, giving RIM Error code #1
(undefined error), so we can't open the database. Also, the database
doesn't appear when using the option `show available databases' in the
interactive version of s.db.rim;
	- if we try to create a `screen presentation file' by using
option 13 in the interactive version of s.db.rim, we can't name it
<databasename> because that already exists. So, somehow, s.db.rim is
aware of the existence of the database but won't read it, nor show it in
a listing.

We do not understand what is wrong; our only misgiving is that the
<databasename>.rimdb3 file seems too small (504 bytes). Should this file
perhaps contain the missing presentation information?

Hopefully someone out there has braved RIM and can tell us how to solve
these problems...

Martijn van Leusen