Who does quantitative geomorphology with GRASS?

Minjiao LU (6102) lu at bousai.cvl.nagaokaut.ac.jp
Sat Mar 12 16:39:07 EST 1994

Dear Peter Mikes,

Thank you for your attention.

For the last years, I am engaged in the development of a hydrological
modelling system. In this system, we divide the basin into grid blocks,
and classify the hydrological processes into two categories. One is the
processes which can be simulated locally. And the other is the processes
related to the horizontal movement of mass and energy. We think the
former can be treated by using GIS facilities and the latter is
hydrologically specialized problems. We built a method ( procedure ) to
route runoff generated in each grid block to the points in study.

In this routing procedure, we assumed
	a. two grid blocks are linked by a channel in the direction of
	   the steepest slope.
        b. the channel has a wide rectangular cross section and
	c. the movement within a channel is governed by kinematic wave
	   equations( diffusion equations and other hydrological method
	   are also available).

And the order of routing of each channel is obtained from the tree
stucture and the Horton-Strahler's stream oder based on the theorem of
optimal routing order which minimized the requirement on computer
memory and makes it possible to run distributed hydrological model even
on a PC under MS-DOS.

In the next step, we will do reseach works on the hydrological processes
in the first catagory. Of course, we will take into account the remotely
sensed data and digitized geographic information such as vegetation,
land use, soil type and soil moisture if availble.

Dear Mikes, I put this into the list because some others pay attention
to our works too.

Minjiao Lu, Ph.D., Research Associate
Dept. of Civil Eng., Nagaoka Univ. of Tech.
Tel: 81+258-46-6000	Fax: 81+258-47-0019
E-mail: lu at bousai.cvl.nagaokaut.ac.jp