Grass beginner's manual

martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl
Thu Mar 17 04:42:38 EST 1994

Hi there,

I've had a number of email messages from persons who couldn't get the
manual files from our FTP site. Since the `reply' option seems to have
got stuck in the current mailer, I'll post this to the grass user list:

1) For some reason the 'ls' and 'dir' commands won't yield any info -
this is a bug that is related somehow to the platform we're using. The
files really are there...
2) To get the files, don't forget to set FTP type to binary if you want
them to arrive unharmed. Change directory to `pub', type `bin' and
`prompt' and `mget grassman.*' to get all three versions of the manual.
3) Grassman is essentially the same text that I made available some 6
months ago. In the meantime I have developed a Grass short course for
which I still need to write out exercises. If anyone is willing to share
their exercises (using the spearfish or global data) with me, please get
in touch. I will put the short course on the moon when it is ready.
4) Which reminds me. If you find that grassman is failing you in some
respect, please let me know. I try to keep it up to date by digesting the
Grass mailing list but I also have other things to do. If you happen to
have useful information that is not yet in grassman, mail it to me!!

P. Martijn van Leusen

Institute of Prehistory, University of Amsterdam
martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl